Monday, September 7, 2009

Oak Garden SOS

The garden under the oak tree is supposed to be filled by caladiums by now. Caladium bulbs have been planted there since spring. Elephant's Ear have not been growing either. The garden looks so bare and bleak. I need to do something about it fast, I still have time.

In the past (CLICK OAK GARDEN HERE), this garden would be covered with caladiums, cana lily, elephant's ear, coleus, and some other flowery plants by August. We had a plethora of coleus one year (CLICK COLEUS HERE) and since then I got my eyes set on varieties of coleus wherever I travel (CLICK TRAVEL HERE).

I realized I haven't bought or sown any coleus this year at all. I also realize how dry the soil under that oak tree is, although the surface always looks moist, and that could be the cause why those bulbs never grow. So I decided to take action: Save the oak tree garden! Bruce Miller, at the same time, has that crazy sale, coleus included. I got 2 flats of coleus mixed with some dusty miller for $2 a flat! And I water them good, too, make sure all has enough to drink.


Although it still looks sparse after coleus being planted,
I am hoping in a month or so
they will fill up the gaps and look just fine.


Coleus and dusty miller.

I moved this sweet potato vine
from a spot to oak tree garden.

I sow 4-o'clock seeds around
the tree and it started to come up.

No comments: