Monday, September 14, 2009

Cape Honeysuckle

I was going to check the water level by the creek and surprised by an unfamiliar color palette next to the Rose of Sharon. Apparently it's from Tecomaria Capensis, recent purchase from Bruce Miller, that is blooming with vibrant orange flower.



I didn't know anything about this plant until I saw it on sale
at Bruce Miler last week (1 gallon pot for only $1), so I purchased 2 of them.
The blooms are striking and beautiful
and the foliage is pretty too (it resembles poison ivy's foliage).


It is also known as Cape Honeysuckle which loves full sun
and blooms in fall and winter. It's hardy for Zone 9-11,
meaning it needs some protection in winter here at Zone 8.
Hummingbirds love this.

What surprised me was that this plant had no bloom
at all before the rain (2-3 days ago)
and to find it with several blooms today is so heartwarming.

Water has raised about a foot / 30 cm
and the cana lily is in the water.


No comments: