Monday, August 31, 2009

Signals from the Grasses

This part 4 of 4 of The Turn of a Season photoessay.

Warm-season grasses thrive in the heat and then they flower and set seed in late summer and fall.

Sedges have edges and rushes are round
Grasses are hollow and rush all around


-1-
This wet-feet loving grass
are having flowers.
One of my favorite grass flowers.



-2-
This form of grass flower is called raceme,
attached to the main axis
by such a thin stem.

The arrangement reminds me of
Heliconia flower.


-3-
Cluster of grass flower
is called grass inflorescence
and this is the spike type
where flowers are directly
attached to main axis.



-4-
Another spike type inflorescence.



-5-
Grass inflorescence that has branches
and called panicle.


And there's many more
I am still waiting on to bloom.
My favorite maroon grass flowers
and ever so faintly pink grass
are yet to be seen.
I'll keep watching.

No comments: